Monday, February 25, 2008

The problem of svchost.exe

SVCHOST.EXE


Having problem of 100% cpu usage due to svchost.exe?? Its probably b'coz your pc's svchost.exe have been infected with a probable spyware or trojan which uses up your memory.
I actually had to  solve a problem with 100% CPU usage due to multiple instances of svchost running. I originally thought I had figured it out after removing SoundForge, the program that caused a hard crash on my PC because CPU usage dropped to between 4% and 100% after removal. But after reboot, the system returned to 100% CPU usage. The svchost.exe (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) is an integral part of Windows XP OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It manages 32-bit DLLs and other services. In normal conditions more than one Svchost.exe instance will always be open. Because I normally have five open, I cannot launch things such as REGEDIT or Norton Anti-Virus as there is not wnough memory.

It's important to note that SERVICE HOST is not a bug. It is a required service. SVCHOST.exe runs runs DLLs. In my case, a DLL might be experiencing a problem or might be corrupted. These problems might be caused by viruses, trojans--or spy software in my case. SVCHOST.exe runs a DLL. If a specific DLL is corrupted, you have to identify what app is causing the DLL call. The Event Viewer helps here.I did a line-by-line analysis of tasks running in my XP Pro operating system. I have Task Manager running in one window and have noted which services are using memory and CPU. I also open a second window for Control Panel [Admin Tools/Services] where I look at plain services, not component services. I go down the list of services and turn them off and back on while monitoring the Task Manager. In my case, systems.exe is the culprit. Time to delete the culprit.

I deleted services.exe from my System32 directory and released enough resources to run AVG Anti-Virus. It found evidence of the HLLW.Nachi.B virus, so it quarantined it and deleted it from my system.I edited my system registry to remove any other evidence. Clean registries make faster bootups. Inorder to prevent further instances like this it is better to install and run a good firewall like Zonealarm while you are on net so that the attack of spams on your pc is limited. Further buy a pro version of avg antivirus or atleast get a free version. Using Zonelabs security is better b'coz it provides an all-in-one. A firewall, anti-spy and anti-virus. It can be dowloaded here.
The password for the rar file is  Dazza@Zeedownload.com

Don't hav winrar download WINRAR here

0 comments: